As many of you already know, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago has instituted a limited state of emergency to combat the rising crime situation. As of this morning word has been given that the curfew would be from 9pm to 5am for the next fifteen days.
I heard the news around 8pm last night, which quickly convinced me to change my plans for the night. However, instead of finding out via conventional news sources, all of my information came from BBM. Broadcasts, most repetitive but still chock full of information from concerned friends and associates.
The areas under lockdown are:
The City of Port of Spain
• St. James East• St. James West• Woodbrook• Northern Port of Spain• Belmont East• Belmont North & West• Southern Port of Spain• East Dry River• St. Ann’s River South• St. Ann’s River Central• St. Ann’s River North• Belmont South
The City of San Fernando
• Cocoyea/Tarouba• Les Efforts East/Cipero• Les Efforts West/La Romain• Marabella East• Marabella South/Vistabella• Marabella West• Mon Repos/Navet• Pleasantville• Spring Vale/Paradise
The Borough of Arima
• Calvary• Arima North East• Arima West• Arima Central• Malabar• Tumpuna• O’Meara
The Borough of Chaguanas
• Charlieville• Edinburgh/Longdonville• Enterprise North• Enterprise South• Cunupia• Montrose• Felicity/Endevour• Munroe Road/Caroni Savannah
The San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation
• Maracus Bay/Santa Cruz/La Fillette• Febeau/Bourg Mulatresse• Morvant/Upper Malick• San Juan West/Caledonia• St. Ann’s/Cascade/Mon Repos West• St. Barb’s Chinapoo• Beetham/Picton• Success/Trou Macaque• Aranguez/Warner Village• Barataria• Petit Bourg/Champ Fleurs/Mt. Lambert• San Juan East
The Diego Martin Regional Corporation
• Chaguaramas/Glencoe• Goodwood/La Puerta• Covinge/Richplain• Diamond Vale• Morne Coco/Alyce Glen• Petit Valley/Cocorite• St. Lucien/cameron Hill• Belle Vue/Bossiere 1• Moka/Bossiere 2
This is a prime example of the speed of information in this social media era. Where even breaking news was gained over the computer rather than the TV screen. Wherever you gain your information from we at Tribal Caribbean urge you to be safe and sensible during this period of heightened security.